This time of year, “The Twelve Days of Christmas” song can be heard in shopping malls, restaurants, TV commercials and pretty much everywhere else. We are all familiar with the “partridge in a pear tree” and those “two turtle doves,” but what about the gifts that an ASDA membership can offer? Here’s an end-of-the-year reminder of all the things you can take advantage of now and in the coming year.
- Dive deeper into what it takes to be a leader. ASDA offers a number of resources to help you develop your leadership skills, whether it’s by getting involved with your chapter, district or at the national level.
- Access publications that cover the dental-student perspective and share our unique experiences. Being an ASDA predoctoral member also means you become a student member of ADA. Student members receive the Journal of the American Dental Association (JADA) and ADA News to stay up-to-date on the latest dental news and scientific information.
- Get help on next steps after graduation. Career Compass provides webinars, videos and lots of other content to guide you toward your career path post-dental school.
- Interact with dental students and professionals at the chapter, district and national levels through ASDA’s events, such as Annual Session, National Leadership Conference and ADA Dentist and Student Lobby Day.
- ASDA’s Engage platform gives you access to tools to reach out to legislators and educate them about issues such as student loan refinancing, midlevel providers and more.
- Being in school can be stressful, so tap into ASDA’s wellness resources to stay healthy. Explore the five dimensions of wellness, watch wellness-related webinars or participate in monthly challenges that’ll improve your well-being.
- ASDA webinars offer members an additional opportunity for professional development at your convenience. Members can attend webinars live or view a recording later.
- International and advanced standing students can gain insights about practicing dentistry in the United States as well as resources and tips for success.
- ASDA members can receive a number of special rates on auto and malpractice insurance as well as office supplies. ADA student members also can receive disability and term life insurance at no-cost to them.
- When preparing to take the National Board Dental Examinations, ASDA can help you study. Discounted reprints of past examinations are available for purchase on the ASDA website.
- Take advantage of reduced ADA membership after school. If you are going into a post-graduate program, you can join the ADA as a graduate student member for just $30. Once you complete your training, the ADA Reduced Dues Program begins the following year.
- Refinance or consolidate your student loans. Your ADA membership entitles you to an additional 0.25 percent rate reduction on low rate student loan refinancing from ADA’s endorsed provider Laurel Road.
Of course, these benefits are not only available on these 12 days, but all 365 days of the year. If you are not a member, learn more about getting involved and all that ASDA provides you during your time in dental school. The 2019 membership year runs on a calendar year from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. You can join at any time between Sept. 10, 2018, and July 31, 2019.
Predental students are not eligible for ADA benefits, but still enjoy many benefits from ASDA.
For full ADA student member benefits, log in to ADA.org to access your membership benefits online. Hint: Your username is the ADA member number (found on your member card) without the dashes.
~Lana Khazma, ASDA Electronic Editor, Texas A&M ’20
About Lana Khazma
Lana Khazma is a third year dental student at Texas A&M College of Dentistry where she currently serves as her ASDA chapter President. She is also on the ASDA Editorial Board as an electronic editor. In her free time, she blogs about her dental school experience and provides advice to pre-dental students on theflossydentist.wordpress.com.