When you’re a student, it’s easy to become overwhelmed by your classes and focus solely on those. We’re here to tell you that it’s important to get involved with other aspects outside the classroom. There are so many opportunities for you to meet new people, learn from your peers, and create relationships that will help you not only get through dental school, but come out of it as a leader. So here are 6 ways to get involved in your school outside of the lecture hall and get more out of dental school.
- Join clubs and organizations. Becoming part of clubs or organizations, where you are surrounded by your peers, is a great way to expand your learning and destress. While there are probably clubs at your school relevant to your studies, try something different too! It’s a great way to find a hobby that relieves stress.
- Attend professional development events. These events are a great way to learn something new and grow as a professional and leader. Once again, they are also a great place to meet your peers and other professionals you can learn from.
- Start a study group. Having a group of people around you who are in the same program is a great way to build on your education. Study groups are a great way to help each other and also create professional connections.
- Get involved in a dental non-profit. These are great way to meet both professionals and peers and advance yourself professionally. Non-profits such as Global Dental Relief, take volunteers to help children who need dental help in countries such as Cambodia, Nepal, and Kenya.
- Volunteer in your community. Volunteering has several benefits. One of this biggest ones, is that feeling of accomplishment. Helping out your local community creates a better environment for everyone. It’s a productive task outside of the classroom. You also gain a sense of perspective. You are where you are because of the hard work you put in. Look what you are able to do for not only yourself but the people around you.
- Find a mentor. You can learn so much from the people who have been in your shoes. Find a teacher, graduate, or even an upperclassmen and meet with them over coffee to pick their brain. Build a relationship with them. It’s a great way to get advice and becomes really handy when you need references!
Now that we’ve provided you with some ways to get more out of the dental school then classes and lectures, it’s your turn to act. Push yourself and remember there’s a lot more to get out of school than perfect attendance and straight A’s!
~ Heartland Dental Team
This content is sponsored and does not necessarily reflect the views of ASDA.
About Heartland Dental
Heartland Dental, LLC is the largest dental support organization in the United States with over 850 supported dental offices in 35 states. Based in Effingham, IL, Heartland Dental provides non-clinical support services to over 1,300 dentists.