Today marks an important day in the history of our country. Without independence, this blog post may never be allowed. You would not have the choice to pursue a career in dentistry. And you definitely wouldn’t have the opportunity to have the big celebrations you will today.
Here are a few tips to keep you safe and healthy today:
1. If you’re spending the day poolside, be sure to reapply sunscreen every hour to keep your skin healthy and burn-free. You certainly do not want to be the color of a lobster on July 5th.
2. If you live in an area infested with mosquitos as I do, be sure to spray plenty of bug spray! The truth is West Nile is still out there and can affect just about anybody.
3. For those boozing today, remember to do it responsibly. Assign a designated sober driver if the plan is to leave the backyard party. Also, be sure to brush your teeth before bedtime. Nobody likes alcohol morning breath. Not to mention the increased risk for caries.
4. If your July 4th plans involve fireworks, for you dental students, be sure to not light a firework while it’s in your hand. The last thing you want is to blow-up your drilling hand. So don’t be like this guy:
5. Lastly, as your sitting outside by the pool or inside watching the hot dog contest, remember those who are still fighting for our freedom.
Have a very Happy 4th of July and enjoy a day without work and school!
~Katie Sowa, Electronic Editor, Houston ’15