With Annual Session 2015 quickly approaching, you are probably thinking about what lab work you have to finish up before you go (those crowns won’t prep themselves), what dapper outfits to pack (a suit a day keeps the fashion police away) and what Boston sights to see (I recommend Boston Public Gardens, Newbury Street and Fenway Park). However, if this is your first ASDA trip, you may have some questions about how to prepare for your trip. So here are my top 5 tips to help you get the most out of “the best week ever.”
1. Get excited, ASDA fever is contagious! You are about to meet so many amazing people and broaden your dental horizons beyond belief. Make a LinkedIn profile or business cards, so you are ready to network. Be sure to download the amazing ASDA app tailored for your trip, set your profile, add the people you meet at the meeting and use it to build your schedule.
2. Plan your day and night to maximize your time. See if your chapter or district has plans for meetings, dinners or mixers and try to attend all of them. It is a great way to meet others and create new friendships. If you are a predental, try and meet students from the dental schools you are interested in and most likely they would be happy to have you come along to their mixers.
3. Get ready for the most fulfilling, yet exhausting trip of your life. Remember, the trip is a short marathon, not a sprint. Be present and engaged in all the seminars versus dozing off. Coffee can only do so much and your chapter is counting on you to bring back valuable information from the meeting.
4. Write down what you hope to achieve on your trip. Read this statement to remind to stay true to your goals. Keep a separate page of your notepad just to write your favorite quotes, memories or thoughts of the trip so when you look back on it, you can remember those great pearls of wisdom.
5. Try and take it all in. Soak up all the knowledge you are being exposed to. It is so rare we get the time while in school to attend such amazing events, yet they are imperative to ensure you round out your personal and professional education. Take notes, listen and go back and share your acquired knowledge with your chapter.
Do you have any favorite ASDA meeting memories? What do you hope to give and gain from Annual Session 2015? Have fun, stay well and catch that ASDA fever!
~Sana Naeem, Buffalo ’17, chapter predental liaison
About Sana Naeem
Sana Naeem is a second year dental student from the University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine and is the predental liaison for her ASDA Buffalo Chapter. As a recent transplant from the United Kingdom, she enjoys loose leaf tea, learning to drive on the right/wrong side of the road, keeping up with her family, photography and media design.