Happy Predental Week! During the week, ASDA will be promoting resources and events for predental members. Predentals who join ASDA during Predental Week will be eligible for prizes, including an Apple iPad mini, $250 Best Buy gift card and $100 Amazon gift card.
In addition, we’ll post every day this week. Enjoy and be sure to join ASDA!
Let’s face it, the path to receiving an acceptance letter from your dream dental school is exceptionally difficult. While spending a majority of your time continuously studying, you are also encountering difficult tasks and making critical decision along the way. At times it can be stressful and rather confusing, yet I am thrilled to say that you are not on your own! ASDA offers predental students various helpful resources in order to answer your lingering questions, keep you on track and guide you to pursuing a career in dentistry. Although there are many ASDA predental benefits, my top 8 are listed below.
- Tips For Writing Your CV/Resume: After participating in different clubs, working several jobs, shadowing dentists, volunteering and earning awards, you now need to write down your activities on paper! But how should you go about categorizing your accomplishments? Use these tips to create an organized, professional resume that can be used for letters of evaluation requests and even filling out the dental school application.
- “Getting into Dental School” Handbook: The title of this 120 page handbook speaks for itself. This unbelievably useful guide contains information about preparing for the DAT, a predental timeline, and interview tips. Additionally, each dental school receives its own page, which contains detailed information about average DAT scores and GPA, undergraduate requirements, tuition, and insight from an attending dental student. I frequently use this guide to quickly compare dental schools as many websites contain outdated information. You will receive a copy of this book and have access to the online version when signing up for an ASDA membership.
- Membership Discounts: As an ASDA member, you receive some awesome discounts on popular educational resources. For example, members receive a 10 % discount on Crack the DAT packages and a 25 % discount on CourseSaver’s Chad’s Videos. I personally used both programs and found each to be extremely helpful.
- Application Toolkit: Although it is beneficial to submit the AADSAS application as soon as possible, filling it out takes valuable time – there are character limits and the need to check and recheck proper grammar and punctuation. Yet with this invaluable toolkit, you can record your coursework and professional experiences in advance. Additionally, once you click submit, you can use the toolkit to keep track of your application statuses.
- “Day of the DAT” Guide: Unlike the many exams you have taken in the past, The Dental Admission Test (DAT) is administered in the Prometric testing center. This guide will give you insight into the security processes, provided materials, and testing room conditions so you can enter the exam feeling focused and confident.
- ASDA News and Mouthing Off: ASDA News is a monthly newsletter that contains helpful information and covers many exciting dental topics. There is an article for everyone to read as current dental students provide information about student life, technological innovations in the dental fields, and managing student dent. Additionally, when taking a coffee break or in between classes, you can read this blog. The best way to never miss a post is to subscribe. You can do so here!
- Leadership Opportunities: ASDA members have an awesome chance to apply for various leadership positions—connecting with predental and dental students across the nation while developing the skills needed to succeed in the dental field. Maybe I’ll see you one day at a National Leadership Conference!
- Personal Statement Tips : The personal statement is a way to make your first impression on the admissions committee and it is key to receiving an interview offer. With a limited word count and freedom to write about any life events, the personal statement may be difficult to begin and often takes months to write. Luckily, the ASDA offers tips for beginning your personal statement, brainstorming, the tone of the story, and formatting.
~Jordan Elmowitz, member, Predental Advisory Committee
2016 Predental Week is sponsored by: