Welcome to Life Hacks Week! This week is filled with tips, tricks and hacks to get you through dental school. Whether it’s your first or fourth year of dental school, we hope you will find something in these posts to help you succeed. This is our back-to-school gift to you! So pull out a number 2 pencil and a college ruled notebook and let’s get to it.
~Mouthing Off blogging team
In honor of this week, we will focus on some tangible ways that you can improve your financial situation while still in dental school. It can be difficult to juggle all of the demands of life and school while you are a student, but there are some good ways to make some extra money without taking TOO much time away from your studies. If you are looking to save a little more money, reduce living expenses or go out with friends more often, here are some ideas to make some extra money while you are a student:
- Mothers are always looking for reliable help. If you are a dental student, you already have credentials on your side; you are a good student and responsible. Since these qualities are also important in any babysitter, use these skills to market yourself to families in the areas surrounding your school. You can also use social media or set up an account on Care.com to get leads!
- Along the same lines as babysitting, use the skills you have gained in school to help high school students in need of a little extra boost.
- Open an Etsy If you are crafty and enjoy spending your free time creating things, an Etsy shop can be perfect for the at-home seller. Whether it’s children’s hair bows or jewelry making that makes you happy, there is a place for every creative type on Etsy!
- Sell things. If you have things that you no longer need, you can sell them. With groups on Facebook now allowing individuals to sell or swap items, it is easier than ever to find buyers for your items. Whether it is clothes, electronics or home goods, check out your local Facebook groups for sell and swap groups.
- Work at your school’s coffee shop. Many school coffee shops allow for flexible hours and a reliable schedule so you can bank on the money you will make doing this each week.
What are some other odd jobs or ideas you have come up with to make some extra cash while in school?
~Megan Mathers, J.D., Mathers Law
To read posts from last year’s Life Hacks Week, click here!