My mom is a wonderful cook, and growing up, I would always find her watching the Cooking Channel on TV for hours in her free time. Occasionally, she would research specific recipes from her favorite chefs online, but most of the time, she would discover new recipes from the cooking shows or even reading her old cookbooks. I remember when she made this guac recipe for the first time back in high school for a party, and I could not. stop. eating. it. It’s the perfect consistency and has such great flavor with a little kick! It’s a staple in our house now, and I always ask her to make it whenever I go home.
- 3-4 avocados
- Fresh garlic
- Pico de gallo
- Tortilla chips for serving
Pico de gallo:
- 1 large red onion
- 4 large tomatoes
- One bunch of cilantro (to taste)
- 2-3 small limes
- 2 jalapeños
- Dice equal quantities of onion and tomato, and add to a bowl. Roughly chop the cilantro.
- Dice the jalapenos and 1-2 cloves of garlic finely and add to mixture.
- Slice the limes in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt (garlic salt or regular) and pepper. Be sure to taste the pico de gallo and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- In a separate bowl, slide the avocados in half, remove the pit and mash slightly with a fork.
- Add the pico de gallo to the avocados until you get a good consistency. Save any leftover pico for serving and enjoy!
~Hannah Borgerding, Georgia ’22